Friday, May 29, 2009

Do what I want you to do...

"The Holy Spirit helps us in our distress. For we don't even know what we should pray for, nor how we should pray. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groaning that cannot be expressed in words." Romans 8:26

There have been times when I am so overwhelmed with a situation that I don't even know what or how to pray. There have also been times when I know exactly what I want and pray for it. In both of these situations, God knows what I need. He is the only one who can see from above how it will all fit together.

There was once a time when I was so down. I literally felt like I couldn't continue with the situation I was in. I was overwhelmed. I was hurt. I was angry at God! He knew all these things. He knew that I couldn't pray for myself. So He brought people around me to pray for me. I know it was a God thing because the words that were coming out of these people's mouths floored me. They knew what I needed without knowing what was wrong! God gave them the words to speak at that moment. After it was done, I was changed. I was not necessarily happy go lucky but I could feel a change in me. I felt a renewed strength and clarity.

Then there have been times where I have prayed for something specific. I knew what I wanted and how I wanted it to work. Well it didn't work out my way. But when I look back on it, I realize that it worked out the way God wanted it to work out.

People will say things like "hindsight is 20/20". But for me I look back and can see the fingerprints of God on my life. Who else could explain how I survived moving across the US twice? Who else could explain nothing happening to me while I lived in my car as a young woman? Coincidence? No I don't believe there is such a thing. I believe that it's a God thing.

He also knows what's in my heart before I even can sort it out. He knows what I am feeling when others don't. He knows when I am mad or sad. He knows when I am happy or glad. He always knows how I feel without having to tell Him or talk about it. To me that is such a great feeling. Having someone know you truly and deeply, flaws, sin and all. And the best part is He loves me so much despite all of this!

He also knows when I need prayer. He knows when I am so hurt or confused. That is when I know that He is there for me. To lift me up on wings like eagles.

"but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

2 comments:

  1. Awesome words. You are right on. Thanks for sharing this with me this morning, I needed it!!! You are a great writer... I love how you put things. Love you, sis!

    ReplyDelete