"A true servant of God must be willing to surrender to God's plans completely. Godly servanthood means laying aside our desires in full pursuit of His."
Wow that is tough. We live in a society that screams to follow your dreams and desires. Not happy? Then follow your heart. Uncomfortable? Then run. Women you can have it all! No we can't! Show me one woman who "has it all" and is completely and utterly happy! These are such lies yet they are repeated over and over.
As believers, we need to follow Him. We need to be true servants to Him. Yes God gave us free will but to truly be happy and fulfilled, we need to follow His plan not our own.
I have stumbled many times following my own plan instead of seeking what God wants. In times when I am struggling I look around and realize that I have been doing it my own way and the plan that I want instead of His plan.
A question that stood out at me from bible study was: Is my obedience conditional? Wow this made me think. So often we obey God when it's convenient for us, when it feels good or when it's easy. But we need to truly obey Him even when it's none of these things. I know for me when I look back at times when I obeyed Him even when I didn't want to, I was blessed beyond belief. Then there were other times when I chose not to obey Him and wow things went down ugly.
One of the reason why I wasn't a Christian for so long is because of people who liked to talk the talk but not walk the walk. I know that everyone makes mistakes and we're all sinners. I am talking about the people who talk and talk about what we should do yet they themselves don't do it repeatly. Jesus didn't preach, He served. He left the table and washed the disciples feet. The dinner wasn't over yet there He was on his knees washing their feet.
Priscilla Shrier said this week that Jesus did three things that night. He left the table, he removed his outer clothing and wrapped a towel around his waist. (John 13:5) She said this was a true example of servanthood. He left the comforts and all the delicious food. He removed his outer wear to prepare for the job. And he took up his towel to do the job.
The same goes for us. We need to do the same three things to be a true servant. We need to leave our own comfort. We need to remove any hindrances. And finally we need to take up our towel to do the job.
I feel like this is where I am at. There are some decisions that I am facing. God is giving me the towel that I need to do what He is calling me to do. But am I willing to leave my comfort and remove any hindrances to do what He is calling of me? He knows the plan that He has for me. He knows what towels I need for the job at hand. He is waiting for me to take the steps forward that I need.
Am I willing to be uncomfortable? Am I willing to take off the expectations of what I thought my life was going to be like? Am I willing to take off and leave behind my pride or bitterness? Am I willing to use my own tools that God is giving me as opposed to someone elses tools? He knows what tools I need.
Jesus served Judas even though He knew that it was Judas who would betray Him. He still served and loved him. Would I do the same if I knew someone was going to hurt me? Isn't this what God calls us to do?
A friend of mine's daughter prayed the other day. She thanked God for all her family and friends. Then she went on the thank Him for all the people in the world that she didn't know, even those who wanted to kill her. (Her parents were having a family discussion about those who don't like Americans at dinner a few nights previous.) The innocence of a 5 year old. That is what God calls us to be even at 30, 40, 70 or 90 something. We often are so full of ourselves that we forget this.
So am I willing to leave my comfort zone, remove my expectations and pride and take up my towel? Are you?
No comments:
Post a Comment