Monday, January 24, 2011

Beauty

Beauty is the essence of a woman. God created us to bring beauty to the world. Unfortunately the world has twisted what this is supposed to mean but that is for another post!

Being the mom to a girl has it's own challenges... especially one that is just like me... Emotionally Expressive.

Emma used to be a girl who loved dresses and dressing up. For a couple of years she had enough holiday dresses to wear a different one each Sunday in December as well as on Christmas Eve! But as she has grown, she has moved away from dresses and is developing her own sense of style... and it doesn't involve dresses.

The other morning she was having a melt down because she didn't have anything to wear to church. Robert was patiently "forcing" her to wear a dress. (That was what she said... "Daddy is forcing me to wear a dress... boohoohoo!" I was getting ready myself and having a hard time trying to find something to wear. I could feel irritation rising up in me. What a way to start the day!

So I prayed. I prayed hard for God to reveal to me the truth and give me the words to speak....

and he did.

That is when I realized she was feeling the same thing I was...

not beautiful.

God created us to bring beauty to this world. He created us to feel beautiful. He created us to BE beauty!

So when we are struggling with looking and feeling beautiful... it's so hard. It's hard see the truth.. that we ARE beauty!

I went in her room to help. In the past I would have probably yelled and told her just to get ready and put something on because we needed to go! Now! What a way to get ready for church!

But this time I allowed God to use me...

I explained to her how I was also struggling with trying to find something to wear. I was struggling to feel good because I didn't feel good in any of the clothes I had picked.

That is when she got it. She realized that was how she was feeling too!

So we were able to find her something to wear where she felt good. And it wasn't a dress. We made it to church on time and she felt good!

Later on we celebrated our victory by going shopping and buying her a few more things so that she can feel beautiful!

Satan didn't win this battle because Jesus fought for our beauty and WON!

1 comment:

  1. Being a mom to a girl has enabled me to mother the little girl in me and heal some of those wounds regarding how I felt about myself then... Beautiful!!! Thanks for writing this out...

    ReplyDelete