Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Love

Lately I have been realizing that the church has lost it's focus in many areas. They do a lot of things "right" but they have been doing a lot of things wrong as well. Of course this is bound to happen when people are involved.

It seems to me they have been forgetting the most important thing... love. They have gotten wrapped up in who is right, the rules and regulations, who is deemed worthy and qualified, what programs are needed to make people fit.

But this isn't what Jesus came to do. He came to love... to set us free... by loving us.

The word love is written over 300 times in the bible.

In a quick search on BibleGateway, the phrase "love one another" came up 19 times.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you
love one another.” John 13:35

"Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage
one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you." 2 Corinthians 13"11

"Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble." 1 Peter 3:8

We are to love one another, deeply. Jesus commanded us to.

Sure we say we love one another... but why are the statistics so high of divorce? Or why do so many people have a problem with Christians? Maybe because we forgot the who basis of what Jesus came to teach... love.

Love isn't a feeling. It is an action. It is a choice.

It is choosing to love someone even if they have wronged or hurt you in the deepest way.

It is choosing to accept and forgive.

It is stopping to say hello without just walking by.

It is setting yourself aside for others.

Love is perfect, however we are not. The only one who is perfect and perfect at loving is Jesus. We are far from perfect! Jesus loves us unconditionally, He would go to the ends of the earth for us... and already has not just once on the cross but in every moment of every day. There is nothing he would stop at to show us his love for us.

Then why is it we can't do the same? We fail to do something as simple as walk by without a hello. We fail to call others to see how they are doing. I fail miserably at this and more.

But I pray everyday that Jesus helps me, refines me, fills me with his love so that I can pour his love out for others. So that I can hug a homeless woman and tell her that she is loved... and really mean it. So that I can continue in relationships where I have been hurt. So that I can show his love to everyone.

Jesus wants to show us that he loves us. He wants to teach us how to love... The sad part is that we are blinded to it sometimes.

Sometimes it's obvious...


Sometimes it's not so obvious and we need to look for it...


Yet why do we stop so easily at showing others that we love them. It's not so difficult yet we do it all the time by...

walking by without a hello or acknowledgment
not forgiving someone
with the words we say that hurt
or the actions we choose

Jesus commanded us to love. It's that simple. Just love and forgive and love some more.... There isn't a formula or class to take to become qualified to love... you only have to choose to do it. Just read the over 300 passages in the bible about love...


No comments:

Post a Comment