We have been immersed this week into the world of ballet and Nutcracker. It's Emma's first year doing both and my first year as a "ballet mom". I never really wanted to be a ballet mom. I always thought ballet people were snobby and catty. Part of this belief is from my own experience as a child with ballet. But this year I finally gave in and let Emma do ballet. We also allowed her to participate in the Nutcracker. Not only that but I signed up to volunteer. I really didn't want to do it since I "know how those ballet people are" but I also know how much things like this desperately need volunteers.
This is day 4 of my volunteering. I have helped out in various positions this week. I have to say as exhausted as I am (trying to keep a bunch of 7 yr old little girls quiet and still when they are bursting at the seams for their turn is beyond exhausting) it has been a lot of fun. I have enjoyed seeing what goes into doing a production like this as well I've enjoyed being with the girls.
However, something struck me this morning as I was praying for today and thinking about the last few days. The thing that has stood out the most for me is how kind and loving everyone is. As you can imagine the staff of the studio have their hands full with so much to do. But they have all been so kind to each other, to the girls and all the crazy (me) parents. Just like in my previous post about how Stephanie stopped to talk to Emma even though she was so busy. The atmosphere as crazy and electrified with excitement as it is... has also been calming and loving.
I know that most of this is because of them and their love and passion for each other and their dancers. But how much of it is also me? I say that because I think part of it is my attitude. I don't feel the need to be validated by them. I am not trying to been seen. I am not trying to feel validated because of what I do.
My value comes from Christ...alone.
And because I know that I am valuable, worth it and seen by him....so I don't need to get wrapped up in trying to be validated by them. Which gives me such freedom to just help. Just be there when I need to be there. Help in whatever way I can.
Because I am needed.... whether it's to touch up little girls makeup, to pray with my daughter because she misses her daddy or to fight the battle that I am called to fight.
I know I am needed, wanted and valuable....because of Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment