"Above all else guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 4:23
Guard your heart? What does this mean? Tuck it away safe so no on can hurt you? Or does it mean to treasure it with all that you have because it is good, it is needed?
I think it's the later. We have been given a new heart. A heart that is good, filled with desires, hope, truth. We are to treasure our hearts as well as guard them. This proverb doesn't say lock your heart away because it is bad. It says to guard it because it is the wellspring of life. It is where Jesus lives.
How do we guard it then? I know one thing... we can't do it alone. Think of all the movies and books where the warrior sets out... he never goes alone. He always has support. Even Jesus had his 12 and he was Jesus!
A year ago I could have named several people who I knew had my back... had my heart. They were fighting to protect the part that I gave them.
Today I'm not so sure...
In John Eldredge's Waking the Dead at the end he talks about community. What does true community look like? He even addresses how so many churches today are doing the small group thing. That is great but how many of them are really successful? Our church is doing that but it seems to me that it's just another program that they are trying to save the sinking ship. The heart isn't really there.
True community is where people fight for you... fight to protect the piece of your heart that you've entrusted them with. They encourage you. They pray for you... Really pray for you... not just "Lord help so and so." They sometimes spend hours praying intentionally for you. You do the same for them.
This type of community is also vehemently opposed. The enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy. His greatest tool is to divide and conquer. That is what happened to me. He divided and conquered us. He prevailed... this time.
I've allowed him to wage a battle against my heart for too long. I've allowed him to bind me up with lies about relationships for too long. Now it's time to win the war...
I'm bringing out the big guns.... J E S U S.
He is my warrior.
He is my healer.
He will conquer and win this war over my heart...
Come Jesus Come....
No comments:
Post a Comment